We all seek inspiration in different places and I believe it is important to surround yourself with things and ideas that inspire you. It's one of the reasons I decided I had to reorganize my home office for the new year. I enlisted JB's help so that it would go faster too. I think that you need to give yourself even a small space where you can experiment and feel motivated to dive into your work.
Here's how we reorganized my office:
- Cleared off all workspaces and filed unfinished projects
- Stocked the shelves with my favorite books and magazines
- Put all supplies for a particular medium together so they were easy to find
- Took stock of what may need to be reordered at a later date
- Threw away anything that was not usable, or cluttering up the space
- Organized loose items into baskets and bins for storage
I think when we committed to doing this it actually took us less than two hours, and we felt accomplished! If you find yourself hesitating to use your space because it feels overrun by past projects, I would definitely recommend purging and organizing to spark your motivation. If you try this in your own space I would love to hear how things turn out---leave me a comment below!